Saturday, October 1, 2011

A 5 for 1 Deal

 Calzonioli

Growing up I had (and still have) a family consisting of two siblings, 10 cousins, 4 aunts, and 3 uncles.  Count in the fact that we're close to my grandma's brother's family as well (I can't think of the term, they're all too damn confusing), you can chuck in 7 second-cousins, and 7 of their aunts, and 3 of their uncles, not to mention grandma and grandpa.  So in total we have three 1st generation members, nineteen 2nd generation adults, and twenty 3rd generation kiddos (me included).  That's a lotta birthdays to celebrate, so ever since I was a kid we would have joint birthday extravaganzas.  I remember when I was turning 7 my mom having to relight the candle 5 times, and then everyone would have to sing "Happy Birthday" five times just so everyone who had a birthday in September could have the spotlight.


because all buckets of fried chicken should have your face on it when it's your b.day

mini-pie eating contests (though it slightly resembles planking)







rollin, rollin, rollin

Street food.  Hand held items.  Kenji's perfect french fries? Mini corn dogs?  Chicken tenders?  I literally spent hours thinking of what to make but the only things that ever popped into my head involved deep frying, which I abhor doing because of the mess it makes.  Why are all the good things in life deep-fried damn it?!  As I sat there in frustration with the image of delicately crisp french fries engrained in my mind, taunting me, I ran into a recipe for fried ravioli.  Could I get away with baking it?  Trying to bake things that should be fried to begin with never measure up.  I then suddenly remembered browsing through White on Rice's puff pastry "ravioli" and found my answer...

Calzone + Ravioli = Calzonioli

Mini calzones it shall be!


These were actually a bit tricky to make, as you definitely want to add more filling than you think is necessary, as the underfilled ones tasted a tad bit bland.



 

per-armageddon

The photos this time around aren't at the most flattering angle simply because
   1) I was late to the party and was in a rush
   2) halfway through shooting my tripod/camera tipped onto the food and splattered marinara
       everywhere.  After spending a half hour cleaning every cranny of my camera I was just too damn
       lazy to continue

disaster

But oh, were these freaking addicting...

my idea of street food

Calzonioli
just a random idea

SERVING SIZE VARIES

pizza dough
recipe from KitchenAid cookbook, via use real butter

1 pkg (2 1/4 tsps) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to 115F)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

to assemble
assorted meat Italian meats, chopped finely (I used salami and pepperoni)
assorted cheeses, grated finely (I used mozzarella and provolone) 
pecorino romano, or parmesan cheese for sprinkling
1/2 stick of butter
a couple cloves of garlic, smashed
chopped flat leaf parsley
marinara for dipping 

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to Speed 2 and mix for 1 minute. Continue on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes, or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 more minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan with the cloves of garlic.  Let cool.  Meanwhile, toss together the meats and cheeses (excluding the pecorino/parmesan).

Roll out the dough in a roughly rectangular shape (you can divide it in half if it makes it easier to work with) until it's 1/16 of an inch thick.  Cut out squares roughly 2 inches wide.  Place a mound of the meat/cheese mixture on half of the squares, and top with the other half.  Seal the edges with a fork, and if you're anal like I am, you can trim each calzonioli so they have straight edges.  Cut a slit on each of the calzionoli, and brush with melted butter and top with grated cheese.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until the golden brown.

After they come out of the oven, you can toss them with the remaining garlic butter, chopped parsley, and more cheese.  Serve with marinara.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment