Saturday, December 3, 2011

Caramelized Onion Marmalade

Crunch Time


I should be studying for finals right now, so I have to confess that this literally will be one of the shortest recipe posts I will ever write.  Trust me though, it deserves a lot more considering my Thanksgiving plate mostly consisted of this marmalade.

5 lbs of onions... it's okay to cry




labor of love
If you were to make this, I suggest you more closely follow the actual recipe on Closet Cooking- for some reason my marmalade never got as dark as it should've (which definitely would have been more flavorful).  I also added hot sauce at the end so the heat and vinegar could cut through the intensely rich sweetness.

But either way, this shmeared on a cracker with a slice of manchego or bleu cheese is nearly impossible to beat for a Thanksgiving appetizer.

 
flipping delicious

Caramelized Onion Marmalade 

adapted from Closet Cooking

MAKES APPROX 2 1/2 CUPS
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of olive oil
5 pounds of onions, chopped
a couple sprigs of thyme
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar 
1/4 cup of brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce, to taste

In a very large pot saute the onions on  high heat until tender, about 10/15 minutes.  Just keep stirring them and letting them brown.  Then add enough water to barely cover and let them boil away- the water will deglaze the fond and will cook the onions faster.  Stir occasionally.  Once most of the water is gone, add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, thyme, salt, pepper, and cook until most of the moisture is gone.  Finish with hot sauce to taste.



7 comments:

  1. I love this recipe.... I use a very similar one. It's soooooo good, all of my friends steal the jar out of my fridge whenever they come around! I just put a recipe up for caremalised onion tart that I served as a appetiser for thanksgiving! I recommend it! (p.s. the photography on my site sucks, I use my old iphone! heh) http://cookingisneat.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I was just thinking "with what could I combine this recipe?" and you just said "Manchego or blue cheese". Yessssss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookuparose: I checked out your tart: looks delicious!

    Juan Tapas: Anything gets better with some Manchengo haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CAN WE MAKKEEE THIISSS?!??!!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this for Christmas and was a huge hit with my mom and her friends! Thanks -- so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sydie: Of course we can!

    Bonnie: I'm flattered (and floored) that someone actually used a recipe from this site! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete