Saturday, February 18, 2012

Apple Crisp + Link Love

The Bucket List


Stop reading this post and head on over to erinnish, an amaze-balls food blog I just discovered.  Great huh?  Definitely added her to my list of blogs to check daily.

I think one of the things I miss most about living back in Orange County is its proximity to Los Angeles.  There's always so much going on there, especially with it's infinite amount of dining options. (Though I don't miss any of the stress inducing traffic and under-qualified drivers, and smoggy air).  I think what I miss the most though is how many bands stop by there for concerts!  

This past week I made the two and a half hour drive (on a Thursday night, and two and a half hours each way to say the least) to cross something off my life's bucket list, and that was to watch this little band called Coldplay.  Ab-so-lute-ly-worth-it.






I've always been a fan of pies, cobblers, crumbles, and of course crisps.  I distinctly remember asking my dad for an apple pie instead of a cake for what I think was my 10th birthday, and all of my family members giving me the strangest look once they saw the massive Costco pie with a candle sticking out of it.  Excuse the Nigella Lawson-esque language, but there's nothing better than a soothingly warm apple crisp with a crumble that crackles slightly as you dig your spoon into it, revealing a steaming, golden compote of soft apples scented with cinnamon and orange.  I think a giant birthday crisp may be in order for my next birthday.

the way it should be

Apple Crisp

 adapted from Ina Garten

SERVES 10

5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples
grated zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
for the topping
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
to serve
vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish. 

Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zest, juice, sugars, and spices.  Pour into the dish.  To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas.  Scatter evenly over the apples.

Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh nice I love Coldplay :D! I wish I could see them live someday...

    And this makes me want an apple crisp, I shall proceed to make one this weekend! Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw "link love" and thought you were going to write about sausage. In my mind, it makes perfect sense to blog about dessert and meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't put it past me to do something like that

      Delete