Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Grilled Flank Steak

Summer Gloom

Fourth of July this year was a quiet affair- I wasn't in the mood to deal with the mobs at the beach, and plus, we've been having unusually cloudy and damp weather.  As a result my cousins and I ended up taking my grandma to breakfast before taking a break at home, and then returning back to her house for dinner (which consisted of takeout pizza).  Afterwards we ended up watching fireworks on the front porch.  

carbo loading for breakfast


I've become increasingly frustrated as summer progresses.  I meant for these months to be a time of growth and development both artistically and personally, but living at home has brought out my old lazy streak.  I have to force myself to the library in order to get any work done, or else I end up watching reruns of Family Guy on Hulu.  You know you're up to nothing when all the days start melding together and you can't tell the difference between Friday and Tuesday.  I blame it all on our stinkin chihuahua.  


In my quest for somehow providing steak while entertaining for the masses, I decided to give flank steak a second go.  The first time I tried making one it turned out tough, chewy, and bland, so in order to prevent failure I turned to the trust worthy recipes of Kenji Lopez over at Serious Eats and the Food Lab.  If you haven't heard of the Food Lab, go spend five hours right now reading all the articles.

all the other stuff

In accordance with my lazy streak, I ended up being too bothered to break out the measuring spoons and cups, so I just eyeballed and estimated everything, going heavy on the tomato paste, just because I like the flavor and adding in red pepper flakes and scallions.


criss cross (apple sauce)


The end result was pretty good- this flank steak actually had flavah!!!  However in my paranoia of overcooking meat, the steak was still pretty rare and had a bit of chew to it.  This recipe is still a bookmark/keeper for sure though.


Grilled Flank Steak

adapted from Serious Eats

SERVES 4-6

2 tablespoons of tomato paste
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of anchovy paste
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3-4 green onions
1/2 cup of vegetable oil 
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 whole flank steak, about 2 pounds

Place all of the ingredients except for the steak in a blender and puree until smooth.  Place marinade and steak in a ziploc bag and marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 12.

When ready to cook, pat excess marinade off the meat.  Sear steak on very high heat for 3 minutes on each side until well charred.  Then, either transfer to a 350 degree oven or to the cool side of the grill and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches approximately 125 degrees for medium rare.  Allow to rest before slicing thinly against the grain.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my - this is exactly why I can never be a vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the exact reason why the longest I've been a vegetarian has been less than 24 hours

      Delete
  2. I love the simplicity of flank steak. This looks so great!

    ReplyDelete