Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dirty Carbonara

I've been frantically, cooking as much as I can the past couple weeks in order to crank out as many posts I can before I leave for school in a month.   A scheduled work day at the library turned into a marathon crepe making session in 90 degree heat... the things I do for you guys ;).

A couple things went wrong when I was making this- I didn't have the patience to roll out each noodle individually, so I made the sheet of pasta as thin as I could and cut out some fettuccine, which wasn't thin enough.  Also, aside from the doughy and thick noodles this was a pretty heavy dish, even by my standards.  Eat with caution.



I don't know what makes a dish qualify as being "dirty", but all I know is that I had a bunch of browned crud stuck to the bottom of my pan.  After a quick deglaze with pasta water, what was supposed to be a normally pale carbonara turned into something more brown and darkly rich. 


after the deglazing

carbs + bacon + eggs + cheese = <3 + (<3 attack)

 One year ago: Belgian Waffles, The Summer Sandwich

Dirty Carbonara

SERVES ~2

 fresh pasta
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 eggs
splash of olive oil 
pinch of salt
finely minced parsley

for the sauce
~1/4 pound of thick cut bacon, diced
olive oil 

1 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 eggs, beaten
1 cup of grated parmesan or pecorino

On your workspace make a well with the flour; fill it with the eggs, oil, parsley, salt and pepper.  With a fork, start beating the liquid ingredients in the center while gradually incorporating the flour.  Keep doing this until the dough begins to form and becomes too stiff to handle with the fork. Begin kneading the dough with your hands until a smooth ball of dough forms (you may or may not need extra flour).  Wrap with plastic and allow the dough to rest for a half hour to an hour.

To make pasta rags by hand, cut the dough in half, and make thin slices crosswise.  Take each slice and roll it out until 1/8 inch thick or thinner- it should be slightly translucent.  Allow the rags of pasta to air-dry until ready to use.  


For the sauce, saute the bacon in a little bit of olive oil until it starts to crisp.  Add in the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper and continue to cook until it gets crisp.  Deglaze the pan with a little bit of the water used to boil the pasta to make a cohesive sauce.  Add in the boiled pasta and toss well; take off the heat.  Beat together the eggs and parmesan, and add to the pasta.  Toss together vigorously to heat the eggs through.  Garnish with more cheese and parsley.

4 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! I have made this and deglazed with a little white wine too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously have to try making pasta. It's the only way I'll let myself eat the real stuff instead of Shirataki noodles (which are surprisingly good). I save my calories for dessert. I love the addition of parsley in the pasta; it looks so fresh and cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe can't fault you for saving calories for dessert!

      Delete